February 8 is the International Day of Prayer and Awareness Against Human Trafficking and the feast day of St. Josephine Bakhita, a former slave. Learn more about Human Trafficking.
Facts About Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery
There are an estimated 20.9 million victims of human trafficking globally:
- 68% of them are trapped in forced labor
- 26% of them are children
- 55% are women and girls
- Globally, an estimated 4.5 million people trapped in forced sexual exploitation
- One in six of the 18,500 runaways reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in 2016 were likely sex trafficking victims.
Sources: International Department of Labor, International Labor Organization, Polaris Project
How can we help?
- Educate ourselves and others on how to recognize warning signs and patterns, and basic do’s and don’ts for working with survivors of trafficking.
- Raise awareness, volunteer, and advocate for legislation that protects the rights of survivors.
- Join an anti-trafficking alliance, such as the Beaver County Anti-Human Trafficking Coalition, which can assist with the prosecution of traffickers, help protect survivors of trafficking and prevent trafficking in your community.
- Promote fair-trade and denounce slave labor in product supply chains.
- See something suspicious? Call the National Human Trafficking Hotline: 888-3737-888.